We were tempted to post this as a "Stupid Project" but its really not, and also NOT original specs.
If appears that in the 50's people did not need a center console. Its like they did not have drinks in the car or need a place for thier phones!? That did not stop the previous owner (you knew I had to bring this guy up...) from installing a rather cool Camaro Horseshoe Shifter though:
Now he did not care much for aesthetics (cool in a mechanical way) but it shifted and thats what mattered.
We did a lot of CAD work (Cardboard Assisted Design) before we cut our first piece of wood.
And slowly but surely we advanced the design using 3/4" plywood left over from other projects:
- 3" Bluetooth speakers (mounted up high on the sides) and powered from a console switch. This allows us to connect and use our phones for "radio", navigation, and so on.
- Just to show MY age, we tested these via Van Halen.
- Front and Back dash cameras powered from console switch.
- Map light rewired to console switch (original does not work and had a small switch running the light)
- Safety/Neutral Reverse switch added to the shifter. We had the light but it was not wired in because there was no reverse switch on the Camaro shifter.
- Small "cubby hole" for stuff and things.
And, of course, Cup Holders
The cup holders are actually a cut down kit that is meant to slide between a center console and a bucket seat. We simply trimmed the bottom edge to follow the contour of the transmission tunnel.